Monday 22 March 2010

21st March - The Home Straight

The final long, long run is complete! Let the taper begin...though contrary to my initial idea of putting my feet up for two weeks, apparently I've still got to do quite a bit of running but no more of those epic three hour plus treks.

Well, not until the marathon itself.

It keeps occurring to me, how am I going to run so far? What if I can't do it and have to drop out? The shame.

A friend commented the other day that I must be really fit by now with all the training but the funny thing is I genuinely don't feel that I am. In fact, I sometimes feel my fitness levels are getting worse when I'm dragging myself round the streets of West Yorkshire. Perhaps my fitness will undergo a miraculous improvement during the taper?!

Training's gone well this week. Did boot camp on Wednesday, then marathon school on Thursday, which I loved - sprinting round a football pitch in the dark at Apperley Bridge (well, it's a marked improvement on running in the freezing cold with snow blowing in my face), something to do with VO2 training...Friday found me doing some heavy duty shopping after work (recovery shop?), then Sunday did the Otley run(though without the booze) nearly 16 miles with Julie and Lisa.

I'm still struggling with painful feet. I thought I was doing okay until about mile nine on Sunday and the now familiar nerve twitch returned. I'm resolved to get some new trainers but I'm not sure whether I've left it too late...I've got to do something though or I will be withdrawing from the race. Just kidding...

No comments:

Post a Comment